Scientists have discovered that our body has around five million hair follicles. While men have a bit more and women a bit less of them, both want to remove unwanted hair, especially from the face. In this article, we will find out the best way to remove upper lip hair without it growing back thicker.
At-Home IPL Hair Removal Devices
At-home hair removal has become a popular option for both men and women. There are plenty of convenient IPL devices that remove not only hairs on the skin but also affect the root of the hair.
IPL is an abbreviation for Intense Pulse Light. The light pulse generates heat that destroys the hair follicle. It can no longer produce new hairs, which gives you long-term results. After multiple procedures, you can forget about your upper lip hair for a very long time, up to a year.
IPL hair removal will perfectly suit people with brown or dark hair and fair skin. It is because light interacts with melanin, the dark pigment in the hair. The more melanin you have, the more effectively you can destroy the follicles.
Advantages of At-home IPL Devices
IPL devices resemble laser hair removal when it comes to effectiveness. However, purchasing a convenient portable handset is much more advantageous in contrast to a beauty salon appointment due to the following reasons:
- IPL handsets are ridiculously cheap. In a beauty salon, you have to pay from $100 to $300 per session. Considering you will need from four to six sessions, complete lip hair removal will cost you around $1,200. A portable device like SkinMyDreams costs $99.99, which is ten times cheaper. Moreover, a single SkinMyDreams handset has 600,000 flash pulses. It is two times more in comparison to other IPL devices. You will be able to use the tool every day for 15+years. Besides that, no batteries or recharges are required.
- IPL device is easy to use. Switch on the handset, apply it to the upper lip, and that’s it.
- IPL handset is much safer. It is less powerful than a stationary laser and will not harm your skin even if it is tanned. Yet, it does an excellent job, removing all the hair nearly permanently.
- It does not hurt. Since IPL machines use less energy than salon lasers, they are completely painless.
As a result, an IPL device may become the best upper lip hair removal tool for domestic use.
Electrolysis is another method of permanent hair removal that targets hair follicles directly. An electrolysis machine consists of a stationary block and a handset with a hair-thin needle. A beauty technician inserts the needle into the individual hair follicle and dissolves it with an electric current. Then, they pull out the hair with a pair of tweezers.
You will have to go through five sessions on average, scheduled between two-four weeks. Each treatment will cost from $150 to $300, resulting in an average total of $1,000.
Pros of Electrolysis:
- removes upper lip hair as effectively as laser and IPL.
- does not leave ingrown hairs.
- works with any type of hair and skin.
Cons of Electrolysis:
- It hurts more than the laser. The procedure is uncomfortable, and you will likely require analgesics.
- It takes time. Since the technician targets each hair individually, it takes up to 20 minutes to cover the entire upper lip area.
- It damages your skin. If you have sensitive skin, the treatment can result in blisters, redness, and rush.
- If the technician does not follow the safety measures, they can cause the infection under your skin.
Laser Hair Removal
Upper Lip laser hair removal is made in a beauty salon. Similarly to IPL devices, laser targets the dark pigment in your hair and follicles. It goes deep under your skin and heats the follicle, destroying the hair from the tip to the end, which also brings you nearly permanent results. The upper lip removal procedure will take around 10-15 minutes. It is rather painful, so be ready for it.
This procedure also requires some preparations. Before getting to the salon, avoid waxing and sugaring two weeks before the procedure. Keep in mind that if you come to the salon with smooth skin, you will waste your money or even burn your upper lip area. Try to visit the salon when you have slightly visible hair only. This will ensure an effective treatment. You will undergo four to six sessions in total to get rid of the hair completely.
Spring Hair Removal Tool
Spring hair removal is an original and quite effective means to remove the unwanted upper lip hair.
You can order the device on the web or buy one in a local shop. It will cost anywhere between $2 and $20. It is definitely worth your attention if you want to remove the tiny hairs from the upper lip area very quickly.
The device consists of a stainless steel spring with handles on each of its ends. You should bend the spring to give it the U-shape, pull it inward, and move in the opposite direction of your hair growth. Surprisingly, the spring will pull out even the tiniest hairs.
Pros of spring hair removal:
- It is cheap
- It does not require any preparations
- It removes hair effectively
- You can do it at home
Cons of spring hair removal:
- It can be painful for sensitive skin
- You will have to repeat the procedure quite often
- It may cause insignificant skin irritation
Waxing is quite a popular way of facial hair removal. You can use it for your upper lip area as well. In short, you should apply a wax strip on your upper lip which cleaves to your hair. Then, you have to tear off the piece from your skin in a single, quick move. As a result, all the unwanted hair will remain on the strip. This treatment gives long-term effects because it pulls the hairs from their roots, slowing growth drastically.
It is possible to do waxing at home, but you need to make the following preparations:
- Buy a wax kit. It contains all the required instruments. Make sure you obtain one specifically designed for the face.
- Make sure your upper lip hair is at least 1/8 inch long. If it is too short, the wax will simply not stick to it.
- Wash your hands and face.
- Prepare the wax strip. You should rub it between your hands to warm it up.
- Apply the strip on your face. Smooth it to make it stick to the hair.
- Remove the strip.
- Clean your face.
- Repeat the procedure if some hairs still remain on your skin.
You can also do this procedure in a beauty salon. A single treatment will cost around $15-20. As you see, waxing requires lots of preparations and may become very tiring over time. More than that, it is painful. After pulling the strip, you will likely have to remove tiny and occasional blood droplets draining from your skin. The treatment can cause redness and swelling and increase skin sensitivity.
Depilatory creams are one of the easiest ways to remove unwanted hair. The only thing you need is apply the cream on the skin and wait for about ten minutes. This method is effective due to chemicals that react with keratin in your hair. The cream starts to dissolve keratin, turning the stray hair into a jelly-like substance. You need to clean the area from the decomposed hair, and that’s it.
Pros of depilatory creams:
- This method is effortless. Spread the cream, wait, and wash it out.
- It prevents ingrown hairs since chemicals remove the shaft of the hair.
Cons of depilatory creams:
- Skin irritation. If you have sensitive skin, you may experience burning, redness, and rush. You may feel inconvenience for several hours after the treatment. Depilatory creams can also lead to swelling, blisters, cracked skin, and other complications.
- Changes in skin pigmentation. Usually, the depilatory creams do not change your skin color. But there is always a chance of an allergic reaction that can darken the treated skin area.
- Chemical burns. Hair-dissolving chemicals can lead to blisters if you hold the cream for too long.
To avoid any complications, you should test the cream. Spread a tiny portion on a small area of your skin. If everything is okay, you can use it for upper lip hair removal. However, you should always remember that this method is risky.
Tweezing may become a preferable solution for removing unwanted hairs from the upper lip. With a pair of tweezers, you will pull out one hair at a time. It can hurt, but with a small area, such as the upper lip, it does not take too much time and works fine. Moreover, since you pull out hairs from their roots, you can damage them over time, slowing down hair regrowth.
Pros of tweezing:
- It is quick and very precise. Once you notice a pair of stray hairs before the important meeting, simply pull them out, and you are good to go. So,it is just a matter of seconds.
- It is cheap. Top-end tweezers cost around $20-$30. Once you buy one, it will serve you for the rest of your life.
Cons of tweezing:
- It hurts. It may not be the best solution for people with low pain tolerance. Still, you can get used to it over time.
- Hair removal is temporary. Although tweezing can result in damaged hair follicles, you will have to repeat the treatment quite often to keep your upper lip area clean and smooth.
Sugaring resembles waxing in many ways. It removes the hair from the root, slowing its growth and making it thinner with each procedure. However, it is much softer for your skin. Sugaring works in the following way:
- A sticky substance consisting of sugar, lemon, and water is applied to your skin.
- It surrounds the hair and sticks to it.
- The paste is quickly removed, with all the hairs being pulled out from their roots.
To take the most of this procedure, make sure your hair is at least 1/8 inch long (similarly to waxing).
Pros of sugaring:
- The sticky substance consists of natural components.
- The sugar paste sticks to the hair, but not to your skin. It results in less pain and skin irritation.
- It removes hair for a long time.
Cons of sugaring:
- It hurts a bit.
- The preparations are time-consuming. A single treatment will take up to 40 minutes.
- It can result in ingrown hairs.
- It can irritate sensitive skin.
Shaving is probably the first thing that comes into the mind when you think of removing upper lip hair. This method is cheap and effective. It does not require preparation and suits even the most sensitive skin. It is painless unless you choose the wrong angle and cut yourself.
To successfully remove the upper lip hair, take these easy steps:
- Make sure the razor is sharp. Replace the blade if it seems blunt.
- Wash your hands and face.
- Apply shaving cream on your upper lip area.
- Move the blade in the direction of hair growth.
Pros of shaving:
- It is easy, cheap, and fast.
- It is painless.
- It is suitable for sensitive skin.
Cons of shaving:
- You have to shave once in two days.
- You can cut yourself.
- It can cause ingrown hairs, which results in acne and irritation.
Threading initially appeared in Asia. It works similarly to spring hair removal. But instead of a spring, the hairs are trapped between the threads. While this method suits better for shaping your eyebrows, you can use it as a lip hair removal technique. To effectively remove hair from the upper lip area, take these steps:
- Get a cotton thread.
- Knot two ends of the thread.
- Form a continuous loop.
- Twist the loop until it forms a gap in the middle.
- Stretch your fingers to make the loop move towards your hands.
- Roll the loop on your upper lip area to remove hair.
- The twisting in the middle of the loop will trap the hairs and pull them from the roots.
This technique is complicated to master. You can use a convenient threading device instead to facilitate the process. The price of this device ranges from $6 to $30 on average.
Pros of threading:
- It is a fast and cheap hair removal method.
- You can use it at home.
- It does not irritate your skin.
Cons of threading:
- It is painful.
- It does not bring permanent results.
You can pull the hair from the root with an epilator faster than ever. It is a convenient handset designed to get rid of unwanted hair from every part of your body. You can use mustache remover for your upper lip area. Epilation has several advantages over tweezing, shaving and waxing, namely:
- It is inexpensive. A high-quality device costs around $100-200 and will serve you for two-three years.
- It brings long-term results due to the pulling out of the hair shaft and damaging the follicle.
- It is less painful in contrast to waxing and tweezing.
- It is faster than shaving. Apply the machine on your skin and move it in the opposite direction of hair growth. It takes no more than a minute to clean the upper lip.
At the same time, the epilator is still a painful device that can cause skin irritation. Many devices come with disposable batteries, which also means additional costs.
Many people refer to natural ways of removing hair to save money on fancy devices or expensive salon appointments. The most effective natural remedies include DYI sugaring and turmeric paste. See how to remove upper lip hair with these methods below:
DIY Sugar Paste Recipe
You can easily make the sugar paste at home. For this, you’ll need:
- One cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
- Mix the ingredients in a pan.
- Place the pan over medium heat to start melting sugar.
- Let the mixture boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Once it starts resembling caramel, remove the pan from the heat.
- Let the sugar paste get cool.
Apply the paste on your upper lip and then pull it off your skin until you get rid of all the hair.
Tumeric Paste Upper Lip Hair Removal
To prepare the paste, you need turmeric powder and milk in the ratio of 3:1. Mix the ingredients to get a smooth substance. Then, spread the mixture on your upper lip and wait until it dries. After that, clean it with the dry cloth.
The Bottom Line
Overall, there are many ways of removing unwanted hair that will suit your particular needs. These methods are pretty useful. At the same time, each of them has several disadvantages that result either in high price, skin irritation, or other inconveniences. You should select one that will suit your goals the most.
If you value professional approach and top service, addressing a beauty salon to let experienced cosmetologists do the job is an excellent decision. But if you want to manage unwanted hair on your own, IPL devices may become your best way to remove upper lip hair since they are cheap, convenient, and painless.